Thursday, January 9, 2014

Oh Shenandoah I long to see you


Virginia is such a beautiful state with the Shenandoah National Park, Blue Ridge mountains, the surrounding counties near Charlottesville filled with pastures and farms and rolling hills. It is why I love to live here.

Today I started to play the song, "Shenandoah" and ended up recording it-- you can listen at the link below. There is so much to love about this song. It was actually originally a sailor sea shanty song.
Now it is the Virginia state song. I love a song with a name that gives it more of a mystery. It could be sung as a love song to a woman or to a beloved place. (Georgia on My Mind is another)

As I played the song today, I was struck by the haunting melody that is both tender and wistful. It brings up a longing deep within that I can't identify. I went to that place and hit the record button and this is what came out.  I hope you enjoy it and come visit our Virginia sometime if you have not been here before!

As you listen, hear are the words to the first verse:   
Oh Shenandoah,
I long to see you,
Away you rolling river.
Oh Shenandoah,
I long to hear you,
Away, I'm bound away,
'cross the wide Missouri.



No comments:

Post a Comment