Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Ain't Misbehavin' and when a song is a play


Yesterday's favorite song (chosen by a member of the group where I sang) was "Ain't Misbehavin'" --a 1920s New Orleans jazz song written by Fats Waller.

When I was a child,  I wanted to be an actress and I enjoyed playing various roles in plays. I also did other roles in productions such as stage manager, helping to build props, working backstage.

I am struck by how much singing for others is a lot like being an actress.   To learn a new song such as "Ain't Misbehavin' requires learning about a different genre of music. I also like to learn the historic background of a song.  For instance, it is said that this song was written while Fats Waller was serving a short stint in alimony prison. (that was why he was not "misbehavin')

Anyway, what I love about having a diverse music repertoire is it is like an actress who plays a variety of roles.  The best actors play serious dramatic parts but can also play a funny role. They are versatile and flexible and diverse.  The best actors can hook us into the story and can portray a character so believable, we forget they are acting.

Music is the same way. I like to study songs and genres and learn different styles.  It is like learning a new dialect or language to connect with people. It is why they say music is the "universal language".
When I am able to grow by learning new things as well as bring happiness to others by playing a song that has a happy memory associated with it, there is no better feeling.

Yesterday was Memorial Day so our group sang indoors for an hour or so until the BBQ party got started.  Then food and volleyball followed--such fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment