Sunday, May 12, 2013

Scavenger hunting for the muse


Many years ago I went on my first scavenger hunt.  I couldn't believe people would put things they no longer wanted out near the curb in their yard for others to come take. I don't recall taking anything but I did very much enjoy looking through other people's discarded things.

I like to do the same kind of thing with music by going through books and songs I have and looking at how I can use some chords and ideas in new ways. It is one of my favorite things to do but I don't often have the time to just have fun with music. Often times I am more goal oriented and practicing for a performance of some kind.

So the last few days I have really enjoyed going through music I downloaded and set aside. I like to read through the pieces and write down the chord structures and see what I can learn from them. Then I like to see if I can make up something new of my own that would fit in the middle of a piece as a bridge or intro. Quite often, it leads me to compose something entirely new of my own.

It is also like scrap booking. Cutting out pieces and pictures, pasting quotes and old jewelry or something found to make something new.  It is a lot of fun.

In my pile I have Celtic and Bossa Nova music, old folk songs, intervallic fretboard improvisational techniques, preludes written by a friend, classical guitar works.  So far I did come up with a piece of a piece but I need more parts to make it a whole composition. The hunt continues....I suspect if I come up with something I like, you will be hearing it soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment