Thursday, May 16, 2013

St. Peter & the blue bandana


Last night at a nursing home where I play music in the hallways for the residents as they get ready for bed, I overheard a lively discussion.  Two women were debating as to whether or not St. Peter would "let them in". (I assumed they were talking about heaven.) Ms. Stevens, ever the worrier was telling Ms. Taylor that she didn't think she would get in. But Ms. Taylor, ever the nurturer and supporter was reassuring that St. Peter would definitely let her in.  I nearly started singing the song, "Sixteen Tons" where it says,

"sixteen tons and what do you get?
another day older and deeper in debt
St. Peter don't you call me cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store".

Instead I approached them and asked, "do you think St. Peter would let me in?" Both of them laughed, so I never quite got an answer. (or maybe that was the answer?)

Then I was playing for Ms. Brown and I had my blue bandana on my right arm that I use for a sleeve when I play my guitar. (during hot months of the year) She asked about my bandana and if I had someone I knew who worked at the railroad. This led to a lengthy discussion about her husband and father who worked for the railroad in West Virginia.  I have noticed quite a number of seniors have very positive memories associated with trains and railroads. We talk about this after singing, "I've been workin' on the railroad."

Then Ms. Brown asked that I sing, "I'll Fly Away". I often feel a little awkward singing this to elderly people because the song says, "when I die, hallelujah by and by-- I'll Fly Away". But then it occurred to me that maybe this is why they like it. It is a happy song about finally being free of their human suffering. As I sang, Ms. Brown nodded and closed her eyes and smiled.

 "To a land where joy never ends, I'll fly away..."   

No comments:

Post a Comment