Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sound Collage


So remember how I told you the other day I've been scavenger hunting for composition ideas? Yesterday the Muse visited and I had so much fun. Here is what I did. I had been working on three pieces of music: two of them classical and one a blues song.  I wrote down favorite measures from each of these pieces on index cards and scrambled them up. Next, I randomly put them in order like a composition and viola! A new piece was born!  I also changed the melodic flow and rhythm so I was not playing the original melody (or stealing it :) I did shuffle the index cards around a bit more and added in two more chords and a bridge part today.

It really was like creating a collage. Remember those times cutting out pictures and quotes and pasting on trinkets to make a collage? It may seem like a hodgepodge of a collection but because you picked all the images out, you are the common thread throughout that holds it together.

My new piece I have been playing all day, adding chords or taking them out.  Speeding up the tempo or slowing it down. Changing the ending.. it is like a puzzle shifting around the pieces until they snap together and you say, "yes".  It is quite a satisfying experience!

Have you done any collage lately? Literally or metaphorically?

No comments:

Post a Comment