Friday, May 31, 2013

Life in 3/4 time


I love Life's endless song as it unfolds around me in its diverse forms. The other day I  played in the newborn ICU at the hospital. My fingers made up lullabies to soothe the babies and eased the stress of the nurses and mothers.  Life in 3/4 time is relaxing and slowed down, a healing balm for us all in world that encourages us to go, go, go.

The tempo of the waltz mimics the human heart. The gentle swaying rhythm brings the same feeling as rocking.  As I play music on my guitar in a slow tempo between 50-70 bpm, this is the rhythm the babies heard in the womb as the mothers' resting heartbeat.

As I was playing, a doctor and  medical students gathered round one of the newborns.  They appeared to be doing some kind of medical teaching. After the lesson was over, the doctor told me he'd never seen a guitar in ICU before.  He seemed very impressed and knew some of the pieces I played (those that I didn't make up!)  Then I told him all about my work as a Musician-in-Residence at the hospital.  Though I have done this job since 2004, I still feel blown away by how great it is.

Music is healing for us all and I feel so grateful to bring it to all different places and people.

To those of you in blogsphere, do you have special music you like to listen to to relax or help you sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment