Sunday, January 13, 2013

A colorful evening


I am lucky to know a lot of creative people and to be a part of an event like Charlottesville Albemarle VSA (Very Special Arts)   annual exhibition of work by over 85 artists with a variety of disabilities. I was one of a few musicians who played background music while the public came and met the artists and enjoyed the art show. Pictured above is my friend Margaret Lee who is playing her harp as guests were arriving.

VSA is one of the organizations I work for and lead sing alongs with various groups. I really enjoy the participants' colorful personalities and unique world views. You can definitely see this in their art work that will be displayed at the Martin Luther King Performing Arts Center until April in Charlottesville.

I was especially touched by one local artist who stood proudly by her work of art as we talked. She said she'd like to donate her piece to the school where the kids were shot recently. I thought that was such a nice idea she had.

The annual art show is a night where these  differently-abled and gifted people truly shine. Pictures of the exhibition opening will be posted on the VSA Facebook page
In the meantime, I am glad that this event is one that starts off a new year. Colorful people and events are my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment