Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Music expresses...

that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent” ― Victor Hugo


Most of the time I post here about my experiences playing music for others. Sometimes though, I do like to talk some about my own relationship with music which is like a lifelong marriage.  My deep relationship with music began as a child listening to 45 records and then deepened when I began playing an instrument (drums in 1973 and then guitar in '75).   For some people they meet the love of their lives and remain connected throughout their lifetime. For me, my life has always been about music.

Today a memory came to me of meeting someone at a music store. We were both buying harmonicas and struck up a conversation. This guy talked about music in the most reverential way that I felt instantly very connected to him. He said that music was an "expansion of the mind." and at the time, being only 16 yrs old, that thought really intrigued me. But many times I go back to what he said and feel it describes so well this relationship I have with music.

Today was a rainy day to spend working on songs for my next concert (in Feb) and keeping up older pieces and dreaming of what things I can do in the future to connect with music. 

This image posted today I found on Facebook and this quote accompanies it:

"The heart is the thousand-stringed instrument that can only be tuned with Love"~Hafiz


Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment