Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Would you Believe...


Who remembers that TV show from the 60s, "Get Smart"?  I loved this show along with many other detective shows popular at the time such as "Mod Squad", 'Mannix", Man from U.N.C.L.E.", "Mission: Impossible", "Perry Mason", etc.

I grew up watching these shows and as a girl my I dreamed to become a detective. I loved the adventure, mystery, intrigue the stories provided. I thought that would be a great life to live in that world of excitement.

I did not become a detective but instead I am a musician and I think there are a lot of similarities but without the negativity that would come with seeing a down side to life that a detective would see.

For instance, I never know how a gig will turn out. Who will come to the show, what the group dynamic will be, what songs will go over or not, how far to put myself out there or not, etc.
It is always a balance of taking a risk and seeing where it leads. Sometimes it falls flat, other times I see the spark of recognition in the audience.

Playing at nursing homes is not for everyone but it is also very unpredictable and ever-changing.  Sometimes an old forgotten song is the key to uniting everyone, other times a silly song brings us together. I never know but I love the challenge.

"Would you believe.." is a question Maxwell used to say all the time in Get Smart. It is one that could easily be applied in my work. Would you believe that song, "I saw the Light" was the song everyone loved yesterday?  Would you believe that being a musician is the closest I could come to being a detective and living on the edge?

PS I really wanted a shoe like Maxwell's! 

No comments:

Post a Comment