Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Soundtrack of our Lives


Today as I was singing with a group at a nursing home (see sign above and note that I am after nap time! :) I was marveling to myself how much I truly still enjoy singing all the songs I learned in school growing up.  As I looked around the room, it was clear that others still love them too. What is it about these old songs that still delight us to sing? 'This Land is Your Land", "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot",  "I've Been Workin' on the Railroad", "My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean", etc? I love how they bring us together and we share in a moment of remembering positive memories from the soundtrack of our lives.

There was one woman in particular today who really moved me to watch. She was in a wheelchair and had some mobility issues but she was dancing in her chair and acting out the songs.  Her eyes would fill with tears at times as she reached her arms up to the sky and then put her hands on her heart. She was really in the song and felt each word.

We've all had that feeling, haven't we? When we are just so moved by a song we are totally carried away from our daily concerns.   As  it is a home run by Mennonites, I sing some hymns too.  I think the best song for me was, "It is Well with my Soul". These songs are a great comfort to people with disabilities because they talk about spirit and soul and life beyond a physical experience (which is limited and painful for them). It is a realm where they dwell much more easily then people who take their physical health for granted. I feel glad I have these people to teach me to really appreciate all I have. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment