Thursday, January 10, 2013

Goodbye Mabel, you did good.

Last night at the nursing home I play at regularly, I saw the notice that Ms. Mabel passed away last week.   Perhaps it is not right to have favorites and I should care for each of the people I play for equally, but Ms. Mabel was my favorite there.

Dear Mabel,

I wanted to tell you that I will miss you and will always remember your kind and gentle soul. I remember when I first met you and how you would smile when I approached, and I wished there was a video camera over my head so others could see the happiness I see each day in my work.  You'd always say, "sounds pretty good!" when I played my guitar for you in an accent I know to be from the deep south. You used to tell me about your son and how you wanted us to meet. On other occasions, when you were confused you said you were going home.

Gradually  you withdrew and in your last days you did not respond when I touched your arm and said hello. It was months I knew you were preparing to go "home" because I just know the signs now. Even so, it still took me by surprise to see the memorial written up about your passing. I didn't get to say goodbye to you, so here it is now. I do believe in angels, you know. And I know you are one now. You did good Mabel, and may you rest in peace.

With love from your music friend,

Blue

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Blue. Rest in peace, and welcome home, Ms. Mabel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Blue, your sentiments are touching my heart. Thank you. Ms Mabel is free at last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing this today brought me to tears. I didn't realize I was so sad but yes, dear sweet Ms. Mabel is free and I know she is happy now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. R.I.P. Miss Mabel.

    ReplyDelete