Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A theatrical bent

You may wonder how it is I can sing the same songs over and over again and still not get bored of them.  My answer is by bringing them to life with a theatrical flair. As much as I can, I use exaggerated gestures &  expressions; wide eyes for drama, nodding the head for emphasis, a sweeping hand for inclusion, a wink for a joke, a little waltz like dance with my guitar, etc.   Once I start this, others start doing it too and it is fun to watch.  Today's group I sang with responds well to a theatrical approach.  Everyone starts bugging out their eyes and waving their hands and nodding their heads and laughing. That was the way it went today.

When I was a young girl, I wanted to be an actress and I was in several plays. I loved how even the smallest line could mean so much with a dramatic gesture or vocal intonation.
In high school,  I hung out at a recreation center where a group of friends and I used to act out songs and dance on top of the ping pong tables. (we were a bit much :)  We got into some trouble over some of our theatrical antics but it did pay off, for who knew I'd be doing this for a living? (well maybe not dancing on the tables though :)


No comments:

Post a Comment