Monday, January 21, 2013

Inauguration celebration


When I arrived the nursing home today, they had the Presidential inauguration on TV. We talked about how many presidents each of us has seen serve in our lifetime.   Not since I was a little girl have I sung patriotic songs as often I have been lately with these folks.    I am of a generation where we started to rebel against the values of those of our parents and grandparents. These songs didn't mean as much to us as they do the folks I sing with. My elder friends help me to remember that these songs are an important part of our heritage. It means a lot to me when we sing, "America the Beautiful" and "My Country Tis of Thee" to see them tear up and put their hands on their heart. One woman in particular becomes very emotional when we sing patriotic songs. She's the one who decorated her walker with a flag pictured above. (she was proud to let me take the picture)

They make me remember to be proud of our country, even though we have had our ups and downs and there are things I have seen and see today that make me wonder where we're going. But maybe if more of us felt pride for our heritage, there would be more of a sense of united vision like there has been before.
Days like today when the president is sworn in feels like a new beginning to start again to live the dream that Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke about many years ago.  "I have a dream".


No comments:

Post a Comment