Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I'm on your side


Sometimes in my work  I see  a lot of suffering. Today there was death in ICU at the hospital and grieving families to tend to.  I try to imagine the music I bring as being like a peaceful, beautiful meadow; a place where they can go within to gain strength and hope.

Then at a nursing home tonight there was more suffering.  A woman was yelling in her room (confused and not knowing what she was doing) while I tried to comfort a new resident who said she felt stuck there and hated being there. I've seen this a lot with people newly admitted into a nursing home and I can't blame them. She paced the halls with her walker and each time she passed, I stopped her to talk. I usually try to point out the good things about the nursing home but tonight there wasn't much I could say given the screaming woman in the background and .the tired, disgruntled staff standing nearby.

Finally, I said, "I just want you to know that I am on your side and I hope we can be friends." She thanked me and said she appreciated that.

It wasn't all a day of grief though. There were still the smiles from others, the compliments from Ms. Catherine, the laughter from Ms. Brenda when I sang her favorite patriotic songs to her (she used to be in the navy).

Even so, I don't mind seeing the ups and downs as it is part of life. It always makes me more grateful for the life I do have. I try to be a kind presence and hope it helps to leave a little light behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment