Thursday, January 17, 2013

Do you wanna try the blues?


Today at JABA, I was singing with Felicia and Ben with the people who come to JABA. Felicia is an African-American woman with a beautiful, soulful voice made for singing Gospel and blues.  She said she loved to just make up her own blues songs and so I played for her my blues guitar progression and she made up her own words to it.

"I'm going downtown to get me some new shoes
I said I'm going downtown to get new shoes
now baby don't you wanna, try the blues"?

Then I made up my own words:

"I went to the store, but there was nothin' there
I said I went to the store but nothin' was there
I think I'll just go home and wash my hair!"

Ha ha and on it went. It was such fun. I so rarely get the opportunity to play with others --I am such a solo act.  I love playing at JABA for this reason.  We jam with each other, harmonize and when Ben and I play some old standards, Felicia dances with people. We are a good team.

A good thing to do on a very rainy day.

Do you wanna try the blues?

No comments:

Post a Comment