Tuesday, January 1, 2013

If I could paint with sound


Today I spent the afternoon with an art therapist I have not seen in over 20 years.  I was so inspired to see her work (she is in her late 80s now). She has developed a new technique of painting that is a very visceral experience to look at. She hung the paintings on the wall and asked me to go and stand near them and see if I could feel the energy of them. I loved the idea of it and I could indeed feel something changing in me as I looked at them. After all, colors are vibrations the same as musical notes and so it makes sense that we could be physically altered by looking at them.

We spent a long time trying to find works to describe this new way of painting.  The process made me think of how can I do something like this with music? How does one reinvent their art/music into something they have never done before?

I did write something a couple of days ago --a piece that does not have words yet but it really moves me to play these chords & meoldy. I read somewhere that, "if you can't move yourself, you can't move anyone else." So.. I strive for this feeling of the music doing something to me as I play it.. that feeling that I could play it over and over again for hours and still love it.

I go looking through stacks of music by composers I like to find unusual chords or something I can use to try. Kind of like clipping a picture from a magazine to use in a collage. Or a new herb or spice for a new flavor.

I was happy with the new flavor of the piece I am working on but then after today and looking at that bold new art I know there are new horizons yet to explore.

Happy New Year!

(art pictured above by Picasso)

1 comment:

  1. You are so right, Blue. Paintings do give off energy and if music is playing that I love when I paint, I feel that the energy and feelings from the music are locked into the painting until someone comes along and "unlocks" the energy and receives it. Interesting how that works! I would love to see the work or at least pictures of it. Does she have a website or something?

    ReplyDelete